Monday, February 03, 2014

Falling in Love with Dwaeji Galbi by Seoul Galbi Restaurant

We’re finally down to my last entry of “My Five Favorite Places to Dine In,” and of course, I saved the best for last. The restaurant that made it to the top of my list (and to my heart) is Seoul Galbi Restaurant in Poblacion, Makati.

Seoul Galbi Restaurant | Poblacion, Makati
Photo by Aki Libo-on
From K-dramas to K-food

I don’t know when it all began, but perhaps my yearning for the best Korean food was a result of my fangirling over Korean dramas. That’s why when I learned about Seoul Galbi from a local TV show, I’ve decided to research about it.

What started as a search for directions on Google Maps led me to Kring Elenzano’s post on My Korean Boyfriend about this restaurant. As it turns out, Seoul Galbi Restaurant is known for their Dwaeji Galbi (Barbecue Pork Ribs). But other than the good food, I guess what also made them famous is the traditional coal and grill that they used when cooking.

Seoul Galbi Restaurant | Poblacion, Makati
Photo by Aki Libo-ob
And while Koreans who frequent the place commends that the Dwaeji Galbi is cooked and tasted the way it’s supposed to be, a Filipino like me loves this dish because it reminds me of the tamis-anghang barbecue we know. Not to mention that the place looks like the typical Korean restaurant you see on K-dramas, which means that you’ll get the Korean vibe the moment you enter the place.

Dwaeji Galbi: Why You so Awesome?

I’ve been coming back to Seoul Galbi Restaurant ever since I had my first taste of their Dwaeji Galbi. Just like any other Korean restaurant, the food is always served with complementary soup and banchan (side dishes). It also comes in with Sangchu (lettuce), spicy vegetable salad, and accompanying dips.

Radish Soup - Complementary
Photo by Aki Libo-on
The last time I visited, they served me Radish Soup for starter. It tastes like Tinola with a kick of spice that runs down your throat. Enough to boost your appetite. The soup has thinly sliced radish inside that I was able to consume, which is unusual for me since it is one of my most ignored vegetable—especially in Sinigang.

Dwaeji Galbi - PHP 270.00
Photo by Aki Libo-on
Moving on with the star of the table, the Dwaeji Galbi is well-marinated in soy sauce, garlic and sugar. Thus, it’s not surprising that it tastes like the Pork Barbecue that Filipino’s love sans the ketchup-based barbecue sauce. What I love most about this dish is that I can eat the fatty part, which I usually remove whenever I eat barbecue. You can also enjoy this without bap (rice) since the meal and the banchan are enough to make you full without feeling bloated.

Seoul Galbi Restaurant’s service doesn’t suck, and you can enjoy the best Dwaeji Galbi in town for only PHP 270.00. I’m not raising your expectations that much, but you definitely have to visit this place if what you’re looking for is a hearty and authentic Korean meal.





Seoul Galbi Restaurant
(02) 898 1404
5362 General Luna Street
Poblacion, Makati
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment