Monday, January 27, 2014

Enjoying the Tender, Juicy Kurobuta Pork Set of Yabu: House of Katsu

Let me tell you something: I used to dislike Japanese food with passion, even just the thought of it, because of my horrible experience from Tokyo Tokyo. However, my view of Japanese food changed when I experienced Yabu: House of Katsu (and, well, a couple of restaurants at Little Tokyo, although that's another story).

Yabu: House of Katsu | SM Mall of Asia
Photo by Aki Libo-on
Dine for a Cause and Falling in Love with Katsu

I learned about Yabu when Sumi Go of The Purple Doll tweeted about this Japanese restaurant’s Dine for a Cause last November 2013. The event is meant to help the survivors of Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) by donating 100 percent of their income during that particular day. I participated in their project because my gut tells me that this is my chance to help.

Yabu: House of Katsu | SM Mall of Asia
Photo by Aki Libo-on
But more than being able to eat good food and help those in need, I learned why a lot of people love Yabu: House of Katsu. It was very crowded at their SM Mall of Asia branch that day during the event, but I didn’t mind because they were able to provide me good food and their service doesn’t suck. Which made think: If they can do well on this specially crowded and busy day, what more if it’s just an ordinary day?

Kurobuta: The Best Pork Katsu in Town!

I went back to Yabu and decided to try their best seller—the Kurobuta Pork Set. You can choose whether you’d like to devour their 120g or 90g pork set, which costs PHP 575.00 and PHP 515.00 respectively. I paired it with their refillable House Blend Iced Tea (PHP 95.00) because I like to.

Kurobuta Pork Set - PHP 515.00
Photo by Aki Libo-on
While the food was not served in bento just like a typical Japanese restaurant would do, I appreciate how my meal was presented on a tray. It was served complete with Misoshiru (Miso Soup), a small bowl of fruits, Japanese pickles, unlimited cabbage salad and unlimited rice. Of course, there is the yellow wasabi and their famous Katsu sauce, wherein you get to grind your own sesame seeds using a pestle.

Misoshiru - Complementary
Photo by Aki Libo-on
I’ve read on Munchpunch that Kurobuta is also known as Black Berkshire pig, which happens to be the world’s finest pork. Well, I don’t really give a damn about that because Yabu’s Kurobuta Pork Set is oh-so-yummy!

Kurobuta Pork Katsu (90g) - PHP 515.00 | Unlimited Cabbage Salad - Complementary
Photo by Aki Libo-on
It is actually a thick cut of tender and juicy pork cutlet, covered with crunchy panko (Japanese breadcrumbs). You can enjoy the meat by dipping it on your Katsu sauce, although I find it a bit tangy for my taste. Nevertheless, I appreciate that it is more meat and less breadcrumbs. Simply put, you won’t feel cheated despite it being expensive. And I don’t know what other secret recipe they put in there, but the entire meal made me and my tummy happy. I was actually tapping and rubbing my belly after enjoying my whole Kurobuto Pork Set with two cups of rice.

Pineapple and Watermelon Slices - Complementary
Photo by Aki Libo-on
Meanwhile, I’m not a fan of their wasabi and Japanese pickles because I find its taste to be weird. I also ignored their cabbage salad since its vegetable. However, I enjoyed their bowl of fruits—which is just two slices of pineapple and watermelon—especially when you douse it with their pink salt.

Sure, prices at Yabu: House of Katsu is quite hefty, but you have to keep in mind that you’re not just paying for the meal. You’re also in for some great Japanese food experience.




View Larger Map

Yabu: House of Katsu
(02) 511 7202
SM Mall of Asia
2/F Main Mall Atrium, South Arcade Pacific Drive
Manila Bay Reclamation Area, Pasay
Official Website | Facebook | Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment